The Alberta Teachers' Retirement Fund Board (ATRF) is an organization that takes pride in our outstanding investment management and exceptional plan member services, resulting in more than $16 billion of assets under management on behalf of more than 80,000 plan members.
As a growing and diverse organization, we're building for the future and require the skills and talents of people like you. Join our team in Edmonton, Alberta and be part of a high-performing, collaborative group that shares a purpose and a commitment to excellence.
ATRF has created this critical new position of Manager, Financial Operations, to manage and oversee the Corporate Accounting and Pension Accounting teams. Reporting to the Controller, this position's accountabilities includes the review of day-to-day accounting transactions, execute receipts and disbursements accurately and timely following all relevant legislation, policies and procedures, monitor tax compliance, maintain effective internal controls infrastructure that avoids financial loss, manage financial risks, and undertake process enhancements. This position plays a key role in ensuring financial integrity at ATRF.
- Manage daily activities in the financial operations function;
- End-to-end understanding of financial operations and builds strong working relationships with the departments;
- Ensure financial records are available to provide timely, accurate and complete documentation for all transactions;
- Review and approve pension plan and corporate receipts, disbursements, and related reconciliations;
- Review and coordinate tax remittances to Canada Revenue Agency timely and accurately;
- Assist to lead in evaluating and recommend alternatives in enhancing pension administration system in relation to Finance's processes;
- Ensure ATRF is in compliance with ITA and CRA directives for pension benefit transactions;
- Review of legislated tax withholdings;
- Review and implement risk management strategy and guidelines in related Finance areas;
- Ensure all internal controls and processes are documented and up to date, while identifying opportunities to enhance processes;
- Ensure that mitigating controls and activities for financial activities are implemented to support the respective risk frameworks;
- Assist to lead the research of industry best practices to streamline for effective and efficiencies of operational processes.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in related field such as Commerce or equivalent, accompanied by five to less than ten years of relevant experience;
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation;
- Success leading in a finance business area;
- Experience in audit and internal controls;
- Experience in managing and leading technology-enabled and other changes;
- Canadian personal tax experience;
- Desirable: Payroll designation (PCP or CPM);
- Demonstrate strong organizational agility;
- Working knowledge of global policies, laws and regulations;
- Strong business acumen;
- Proficient in analyzing financial information;
- Actively listen, seek information and ask questions to ensure the understanding of underlying concerns of others;
- Demonstrate extensive accounting and financial reporting knowledge in a large, integrated and complex computerized environment;
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills;
- Strong attention to detail, with record of meticulous and organized work;
- Strong record for process improvements;
- Has a strong understanding of the CPA Canada Handbook and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
As one of Alberta's Top 70 Employers (2017, 2018) we offer a competitive compensation package which includes:
- 100% employer paid benefits, defined benefit pension plan, health & wellness spending accounts, paid volunteer time and much more.
- Excellent opportunities for professional growth and career development.
- Learning and development supported through ATRF's education reimbursement program.
- An engaging, inclusive culture where you can be you!
At ATRF, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are an organization that takes pride in ensuring the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background, and experience.
For a detail job description click here.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Attention: Carrine Willocks, Recruitment Specialist.