The Alberta Teachers' Retirement Fund Board (ATRF) is an organization that takes pride in our outstanding investment management and exceptional plan member services, resulting in more than $16 billion of assets under management on behalf of more than 80,000 plan members.
As a growing and diverse organization, we're building for the future and require the skills and talents of people like you. Join our team in Edmonton, Alberta and be part of a high-performing, collaborative group that shares a purpose and a commitment to excellence.
The position is responsible to the Senior Manager, Investment Finance and provides services that relate primarily to the administration of ATRF's public market assets.
The Public Markets Group within Investment Finance enables the effective operations of Public Markets – the Public Equity, Fixed Income and Hedge Fund Investment portfolios. The group's primary responsibilities include operations functions to coordinate cash and liquidity requirements, transaction processing and settlement, investment onboarding and asset valuation, administration and reporting, collateral and margin processing, elements of risk management and reporting together with service and relationship management.
Areas of responsibility within this function include onboarding new investments, setup of new investments within various internal systems, accurate administration, execution and reporting, and the production or (or contribution to) portfolio level reporting. The role will partner with departments throughout the organization that impact or contribute to various levels of internal and external reporting. The role will collaborate with the Investment team, Investment Accounting, Corporate Finance, Legal and other teams to ensure that all public market investments are appropriately accounted for, reported and disclosed in performance and risk reporting and, ultimately, in the financial statements.
- Responsible for entering trade and derivative instructions and resolving settlement issues.
- Manage relationship and coordinate requirements for all externally managed funds.
- Administer pricing activities for Fixed income, Equity, Derivatives and Hedge Funds.
- Assist in the setup of new investments and new external managers in internal systems and coordinate account set up and maintenance with custodian and other service providers.
- Ensure that all banking documentation and signing authorities for the custodian and its related subsidiaries are up-to-date and maintained to reflect changes in business policies and staff.
- Review and maintenance of financial policies and procedures related to Investment Finance ensuring policies are up to date to reflect changes in the business environment and investment activity.
- Collateral management for OTC and Exchange traded derivatives and repos.
- Assess and monitor the daily cash flow requirements and bank account activity (corporate and investments) to ensure funds are available in a timely manner.
- Process funding notices. Confirm accuracy of wire information, assess cash needs and complete wire transfers.
- Ensure cash flow budgeting is up to date with all known funding needs from cash flows and hedges.
- Complete foreign exchange spot and hedge transactions.
- Assist Investment Accountants to meet quarterly and annual reporting requirements including all budget, fee and cost reporting requirements.
- Assisting the Senior Manager to develop and enhance the internal controls, monitoring procedures, streamline, automate and enhance existing processes.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate for this role will have a Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting, as well as 1-3 years of applicable work experience within investment finance operations, including 1+ year of middle/back office experience covering trade processing, collateral, confirmations, settlements, cash management and trade reconciliations. Knowledge and/or experience with derivative instruments is preferred and knowledge of VBA and Excel (functions and macros) would be a significant asset.
Registration with a professional body (CFA, CAIA, CPA, CBV) would be a significant asset.
Critical personal attributes required include:
- Extremely detail oriented, organized, meticulous and thorough.
- Self-starter, confident, innovative, team player.
- Good interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to deal professionally with internal clients and external parties.
- Ability to cope with significant time pressures so as to meet critical daily operational deadlines.
As one of Alberta's Top Employers for the last three consecutive years we offer a competitive compensation package which includes:
- 100% employer paid benefits, defined benefit pension plan, health & wellness spending accounts, paid volunteer time and much more.
- Excellent opportunities for professional growth and career development.
- Learning and development supported through ATRF's education reimbursement program.
- An engaging, inclusive culture where you can be you!
At ATRF, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are an organization that takes pride in ensuring the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background, and experience. For a detailed job description click here.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to https://jobs.aplin.com/job/217653/Analyst-Investment-Finance
Attention: Declan Bird from APLIN Accounting & Finance.