The Alberta Teachers' Retirement Fund Board (ATRF) is seeking a full-time Manager, Risk and Audit to lead the Risk and Audit team. Risk and Audit is part of the Finance department which also carries out accounting, pension payroll and investment finance functions for ATRF. ATRF is one of Canada's most dynamic and fastest-growing pension funds, where assets under management are projected to more than double over the next decade.
The Manager, Risk and Audit is responsible for managing and directing the Risk Management program and the Internal Audit function. This position reports to the Vice President, Finance. As the Manager, Risk and Audit, this role is responsible for driving key risk management and internal audit initiatives in the organization that will assist the organization in identifying, assessing and responding to risks that could have an impact on achieving strategic and operational objectives.
Manager, Risk and Audit responsibilities include but are not restricted to:
- Coordinate the development and implementation of an overall strategy and framework for Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and Operational Risk Management (ORM);
- Recommend and maintain risk management policies to ensure the appropriate identification, assessment and response to risks;
- Develop the necessary tools and templates, including risk dashboards to drive the analysis and reporting of enterprise risks;
- Establish communication protocols to keep stakeholders informed on key risk information on a timely basis;
- Develop a training strategy for the organization to enhance risk management expertise in the organization;
- Lead the organization to identify and assess risks in accordance with common risk terminology as laid out in risk management policies;
- Ensure that identified risks are being properly managed and adequate reporting is being provided to stakeholders;
- Coordinate the activities of the Risk Management Committee(s) and provide key input on the risk profile as well as processes to ensure alignment with objectives;
- Serve as a liaison between Management and the Board/Committees as it relates to reporting on the risk management program;
- Manage ATRF's Business Continuity Program (BCP);
- Maintain internal audit policies and procedures including the Internal Audit Charter;
- Develop an internal audit plan (including Internal Controls over Financial Reporting and Investment Compliance Monitoring Program);
- Execute the internal audit plan and communicate results of audit activities to senior management, the Audit Committee and other stakeholders;
- Provide advice to and consult with senior management and the Audit Committee, as necessary or as requested, regarding business issues, risks and plans;
- Provide assistance to external auditors
- Supervise other team members within the risk and audit unit for the day-to-day tasks related to planning, testing, creating work papers and writing reports for all operational, financial and compliance audits;
- In consultation with Vice President, Finance, recruit and manage the Risk & Audit staff and functions.
Education and experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related field
- Completion of, or working towards the completion of, a professional designation (CIA, CRM) would be an asset.
- Strong knowledge of ERM, internal control and internal audit standards required (e.g. COSO, IIA and/or ISO 31000 frameworks)
- Experience within Financial Services industry preferred
- Strong facilitation, collaboration and teamwork skills with the ability to build cross-functional partnerships to drive results.
- Strong analytical and research skills, able to synthesize information to provide practical business solutions to accomplish pragmatic, meaningful results.
- ATRF is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation package, a comprehensive benefits program and an excellent working environment.
ATRF is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation package, a comprehensive benefits program and an excellent working environment.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attn: Leslie McCallum, Human Resources Assistant.
ATRF thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.